Now Is The Time. Don’t Wait Any Longer. Get Your SSL Certificate Installed.
Folks, July is here, and Google is going to aggressively start displaying in Chrome, and in their search results screens which business Websites are not secure.
Basically they will be warning people that your Website should not be visited because it’s unsafe for you to be there.
AND If you don’t have an SSL certificate installed it “Will” impact your business Website’s SEO efforts.
I wrote about this in an article in February. Many of you have followed through with the advice to secure your site.
Here’s the information again that explains what this SSL certificate stuff is all about, and how you can help your business stay out of the way of Google’s security warnings.
# 1. The SSL Certificate is what makes the top of the screen look like this when people visit your Website.
If you don’t have an SSL Certificate installed it will look like this:
- Google in July of 2018 will start putting text on their search results screen if a Website does not have an SSL Certificate applied.
- Google for about three years now has been recommending that business owners get an SSL Certificate for their Websites, but they haven’t given Websites lower rankings, or called them out if they didn’t have one. They will change their policy in July 2018.
- If you don’t have an SSL Certificate applied on your site, your site WILL still work just fine, and it will still show up in a Google search window. It will just have a message about how this site is unsecured, and when people click the link it will probably show that warning Window about the site being unsecure. (OK, now that is a bad thing if you want to show up in Google.)
- There are three levels of SSL Certificates.
- The price for level 1 is around $60 a year.
- The price for level 2 is around $150 a year.
- The price for level 3 is around $300 a year.
The Certificate/Software/Encryption Technique is identical for all three levels. Meaning….Your site will be just as encrypted and technologically secure with level 1, as it will be with level 3.
So why do they even offer three levels at different price points?????
The certificate price difference relates to the amount of “DOCUMENTATION” & background checks the issuing hosting providers do on your company.
– Level 1 is standard documentation. Basically you paid the lowest level for an incredibly encrypted Website and are protecting your site to Google’s satisfaction.
– Level 2 and 3 are where the hosting company will conduct interviews and background checks on your company, and then issue you a really fancy set of documentation saying you are very reliable and safe company to do business with. But with a level 2 or level 3 Certificate, you are still get the exact same technology applied to your site as the level 1 sites got. You site is no more technically secure than the level 1 folks sites. Very few companies, want or need a level 2 or level 3 SSL Certificate. You certainly can buy them, but your site will be no more technically secure than someone with a level 1 Certificate.
Your Website developer did not make a mistake over the years if they didn’t add an SSL Certificate to your site. If you weren’t taking credit card information directly on your site, or personal data on a Web form, you didn’t need an SSL certificate.
But now, officially in July of 2018 Google has decided/determined that a level of “Trust” is needed by all companies that have a business Website. And the way they want business Websites to demonstrate that “Trust” is by encrypting their sites with an SSL Certificate.
So sometime before July, contact your Web designer, and ask them to help you install/buy an SSL certificate for your Website. It takes about 10 minutes or less to install.
Doing this will make Google very very happy.
KC Web Specialists can help you with this SSL process. Please contact us today at email@example.com to get started.
(913) 489-7866 or firstname.lastname@example.org