Is Your Website Secured With An SSL Certificate? Don’t Panic! Don’t Impulse Buy Anything! Read This First.
I really wanted to wait till closer to May 2018 before providing this information, but I’ve found out that the scam sellers, and hosting companies are out in force, and you need to know the real / true information about getting an SSL Certificate for your Kansas City Website design.
# 1. The SSL Certificate is what makes the top of the screen look like this when people visit your Website.
If you don’t have an SSL Certificate installed it will look like this:
- Google in July of 2018 will start putting text on their search results screen if a Website does not have an SSL Certificate applied. They will start this in July 2018. So you have time. Don’t panic. Google have been beta testing this since late 2017.
- Google for about three years now has been recommending that business owners get an SSL Certificate for their Websites, but they haven’t given Websites lower rankings, or called them out if they didn’t have one. They will change their policy in July 2018.
- If you don’t have an SSL Certificate applied on your site, your site WILL still work just fine, and it will still show up in a Google search window. It will just have a message about how this site is unsecured, and when people click the link it will probably show that warning Window about the site being unsecure. (OK, now that is a bad thing if you want to show up in Google for SEO.)
- There are three levels of SSL Certificates.
- The price for level 1 is around $60 a year.
- The price for level 2 is around $150 a year.
- The price for level 3 is around $300 a year.
The Certificate/Software/Encryption Technique is identical for all three levels. Meaning….Your site will be just as encrypted and technologically secure with level 1, as it will be with level 3.
The certificate price difference relates to the amount of “DOCUMENTATION” & background checks the issuing hosting providers do on your company.
– Level 1 is standard documentation. Basically you paid the lowest level for an incredibly encrypted Website and are protecting your site to Google’s satisfaction.
– Level 2 and 3 are where the hosting company will conduct interviews and background checks on your company, and then issue you a really fancy set of documentation saying you are very reliable and safe company to do business with. But with a level 2 or level 3 Certificate, you are still getting the exact same technology applied to your site as the level 1 sites got. Your site is no more technically secure than the level 1 folks sites. Very few companies, want or need a level 2 or level 3 SSL Certificate. You certainly can buy them, but your site will be no more technically secure than someone with a level 1 Certificate.
Your Website developer did not make a mistake over the years if they didn’t add an SSL Certificate to your site. If you weren’t taking credit card information directly on your site, or personal data on a Web form, you didn’t need an SSL certificate.
But now, officially in July of 2018 Google has decided/determined that a level of “Trust” is needed by all companies that have a business Website. And the way they want business Websites to demonstrate that “Trust” is by encrypting their sites with an SSL Certificate.
So sometime before July, contact your Web designer, and ask them to help you install/buy an SSL certificate for your Website. It takes about 10 minutes or less to install.
Doing this will make Google very very happy.
KC Web Specialists can help you with this process. Please contact us today at email@example.com to get started.